New nvCOMP v2.1.0 Library with Redesigned Batch API and Performance Optimizations
Today, NVIDIA is announcing the availability of nvCOMP, version 2.1.0. This software can be downloaded now free of charge.
- Enhancements to the low-level interface by adding configuration options, a new error-reporting mechanism, and functions that calculate the size of the decompressed output.
- Redesigned Batch APIs
- Low-level is targeting advanced users — metadata and chunking must be handled outside of nvCOMP. Perform batch compression/decompression of multiple streams, lightweight, and fully asynchronous.
- High-level is provided for ease of use — metadata and chunking is handled internally by nvCOMP. The easiest way to ramp-up and use nvCOMP in applications.
- All compressors are available through the updated low-level API (including Cascaded and Bitcomp – new in 2.1).
- Performance optimizations for Snappy, LZ4, and GDeflate.
- New high-throughput and high-compression-ratio GPU compressors in GDeflate.
See the nvCOMP Release Notes for more information.
nvCOMP is a CUDA library that features generic compression interfaces to enable developers to use high-performance GPU compressors in their applications.
Supported nvCOMP Compression algorithms:
- Cascaded: Novel high-throughput compressor ideal for analytical or structured/tabular data.
- LZ4: General-purpose no-entropy byte-level compressor well suited for a wide range of datasets.
- Snappy: Similar to LZ4, this byte-level compressor is a popular existing format used for tabular data.
- GDeflate: Proprietary compressor with entropy encoding and LZ77, high compression ratios on arbitrary data.
- Bitcomp: Proprietary compressor designed for floating point data in Scientific Computing applications.
- Gain insights from Optimizing Lossless Compression Algorithms on the GPU (GTC 2021: S32401).
- Increase your knowledge from Lossless Compression on the GPU (GTC 2021: CWES1174).
- Get more technical details in our nvCOMP Project Documentation.
Recent Developer posts
- Read about Optimizing Data Transfer Using Lossless Compression with NVIDIA nvCOMP.